An ‘Unrelated’ cluster will appear when not all portfolios have been clustered and will show the number of patent families that do not fit into any of the technology clusters in the report.
e.g. If Cipher clustered company X and you are benchmarking company Y and Z: unrelated shows the number of patent families in Y and Z's portfolio that don’t cross over, or fit into, any of X’s clusters.
Analysing this cluster can give you insight into where your competitors are innovating and you are not.
There is an easy way to explore this cluster by isolating it and using it as a starting point for a new report:
- In the Technologies tab, leave only the Unrelated selected
- Go to the Data List view
- From the options drop down, click on 'Create new report'
- Click on 'Options' and 'Create new report'
5. Name you new report when prompted
6. Click 'create' and build your report
This new report will help you explore the 'Unrelated' cluster in more detail.
Need help? Request support and we'll connect you with a Cipher expert.
Can't wait? Contact us on 02039099222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org